The year just seems to have flown by and November’s final burst of Eureka activity is just about upon us.
1. Spring Into Spring Events 7 and 8 in Ballarat – Saturday 30 November. Chris Norwood has the final draft courses all set. John Erwin is checking on the availability of wooden stands for controls in “hard places” (ie on concrete where you can’t put a control stand in). Ian Chennell is setting up the finish procedures so that quick results can flash up on the EU TV screens. These are great events for Eureka’s developing juniors as the courses are short and around school buildings/campuses. But we need 6 volunteers – 2 for registration at Damascus College at 11.30 (probably best if you are not going to run on Saturday), 2 at the start (can run after the 75-100 expected runners has started at 1 minute intervals) and 2 at the finish (to tear off splits printer sheets and help Ian with managing finishers). We will need some set up (tables and chairs, sun shelters, flags and bunting) at Damascus College and Mt Clear Sec College on Saturday morning while Chris and John Erwin put out the lock-on controls.
2. Victorian Sprint Championships at Ballarat Grammar – Sunday 1 December. The Lawfords have set the courses and checked the final draft of the map. Entry to the event will be up on Eventor soon. Jenny and Geoff have indicated that Grammar students will be helping but we’ll need about the same number of EU volunteers for Sunday (and if you are not running on the day that would be a bonus). This our last chance in 2013 to score Rockhopper points for the club so we want as many EU participants – particularly juniors – to run at Ballarat Grammar. Remember our last big effort at the Vic Club Relays scored a record 246 points and vaulted the club into 4th place. Can we move up into the top three clubs in Vic?
3. Australian/ACT MTBO Results – Victoria Rules! A small contingent of EU riders – Declan, Dale Ann and Blake – came away with 9 prizes from the 3 events. Declan and Dale swept three 1st each while Blake managed two 2nd and one 3rd. Our good results contributed to the Victorian MTBO Nuggets reclaiming the OA Shield for the 14th time in 16 years (having lost it to NSW in 2012). In the National MTBO Series Declan (M-16 Champion) and Dale Ann (W70 Champion) won the impressive OA trophies over the 8-event 2013 national series held in Vic, Qld and finishing in ACT. Next year the 2014 National MTBO Series visits Stanthorpe Qld, Alice Springs NT, and Margaret River WA – what a sensational series of venues – and for the first time none of the NMTBOS is in Victoria! It will take a special effort over the year to reclaim national MTBO bragging rights. Check your calendars, pencil in the events, and make the effort to be part of the Victorian MTBO Nuggets in 2014.
4. aMAZEing Ballarat. Despite running 3 aMAZEing events (BHS and Victorian Teachers Games) already in 2013, Mark is back at it again on Saturday 7th December (check out the entry on Eventor). Help will definitely be needed at the Start/Finish as we are expecting a record entry due to the success of the earlier events in 2013. Mark plans to distribute the proceeds this year to 2 deserving agencies so Magpies, Keebles and Lawfords prepare to be challenged again.
5. 2014 Victorian Orienteering Program. Listed below are the Eureka commitments for major events. At this point, we will schedule 2014 local Ballarat low-key training events when the need occurs and they will be notified on the allmembers email. If you are able to fill any of the TBA positions, please let Mark know.
6 April Eureka Challenge (State Foot-O Event) at Glenluce South: Course Planner – Geoff Lawford, Organiser – TBA
4 May Victorian MTBO #3 at Linton: Course Planner – TBA, Organiser – TBA
31 August Ultra Long / NOL at Mt Korong: Course Planner – Jim Russell, Sponsorship Liaison – Geoff Lawford
1 November Victorian MTBO Sprint Champs, map TBA: Course Planner – TBA, Organiser – TBA
2 November Cyclic Navigator, map TBA one of Daylesford series: Course Planner – Anitra and Ken Dowling, Organiser TBA
6 December aMAZEing Ballarat : Course Planner – Mark Valentine, Organiser – TBA