[EurekaO] Big Thanks for Big Day at Creswick Forest

 Posted by at 12:21 am  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] Big Thanks for Big Day at Creswick Forest
May 202019
 

Hi Eurekans
Just a sincere thanks for your efforts out at RACV Goldfields Resort today. The team of Ian, Toby, Warwick, Monica, Ken, Anitra, Henk and Rod did a terrific job setting up, parking, computer, start, registration, control collection and putting the gear away – so efficient we had it all back in the EU store by 3.30pm!
Our next big mtbo effort will be at Maryborough in late October at the Australian MTBO Championships where Eureka are responsible for the finish and results every day and the Long-Distance event on the last day.
Between now and then we hope to be running some low-key mtbo events (maybe using MapRun) so that we can train up a good team for the October championships and get a good representation of our ‘up and coming’ new members. Good to see Karen Simmons, Sam Valentine, and Thomas / Josh Valentine as well as Henk Rem building one their mtbo skills at Creswick.
Cheers Blake and Mark
_______________________________________________ allmembers mailing list allmembers@eurekaorienteers.asn.au eurekaorienteers.asn.au/mailman/listinfo/allmembers_eurekaorienteers.asn.au

[EurekaO] MTBO #4 Need help at Creswick RACV Resort on 19th May

 Posted by at 6:59 pm  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] MTBO #4 Need help at Creswick RACV Resort on 19th May
May 132019
 
Hi Everyone


Mark and Blake need some helpers at the Vic MTBO Series #4 event at RACV Goldfields Resort on Sunday week (19th May – the day after the election). Help with parking, rego, start, finish, and control collection would be greatly appreciated. Contact Blake by email at blakegordon1@bigpond.com if you can help out for a couple of hours. Everyone in Eureka will get a ride or a training run if you want – I will fit your ride into the roster.
 
Eureka is developing a good relationship with the resort management so do come out and have lunch or a coffee/tea in the well-appointed pro shop before or after the event.

Eureka continues to stand in second place in the foot-o Vic Autumn Series, 36 points behind MFR after the Eppalock South event. If you fancy interesting statistics go onto the www.vicorienteering.asn.au page, click on the latest news and go to the Interclub standings or the Vic Autumn Individual Series standings. In the four events so far EU has placed first in two events (Petticoat Gully and Nerrina) and second (Bunjil and Eppalock South) – impressive! 

There are two more events – Irishtown (Hepburn Springs) and Creswick – in the autumn series so make your plans, mark your calendar, and help your club gain points.

Cheers
Blake

[EurekaO] May 19th MTBO Event at Creswick

 Posted by at 6:59 pm  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] May 19th MTBO Event at Creswick
May 132019
 

Hi all
Hope to see some of you at Creswick the day after the Federal election. Already I know that Ken, Monica, Sam, Rod and Tseegi, Ian and Catherine, Dale and Blake, Mark will be there. Come and enjoy a ride or run around our local forest.
Cheers Blake _______________________________________________ allmembers mailing list allmembers@eurekaorienteers.asn.au eurekaorienteers.asn.au/mailman/listinfo/allmembers_eurekaorienteers.asn.au

[EurekaO] Eureka Orienteers AGM News

 Posted by at 7:54 pm  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] Eureka Orienteers AGM News
May 032019
 
Hi all


Eureka held the 45th AGM on Tuesday night at the Eastwood Leisure Complex.  With 40 members eligible to vote,  those members present (with a quorum of 8 members attending Jenny, Geoff, Gary, James, Roch, Blake, Ian, Monica) – 6 apologies from Peter, Rod, Tseegi, Mark, Ken and Dale ) unanimously elected the  2019-20 Executive: 
 
President – Ian Chennell; Vice President – James Gray; Secretary – Blake Gordon; Treasurer – Monica Dickson

General Business:

1 New club running tops: Blake reported that 25 members have received their “EU Flag with splash of orange” top. Those members that have volunteered to help at events, served as officers, run or organised events, controlled other clubs events or served as officers should get their top from Blake. 

2 Gary Buchan volunteered to work on the webpage and serve as Assistant Treasurer. Thanks Gary.

3 MapRun has had several successful runs/walks/cycles around 7 different venues. Most of those maps are still available for your fun. Just download the app MapRun and check the local Ballarat venues. Need to know more – contact Ian Chennell.

4 Upcoming Vic MTBO Series #4 event on 19th May (day after the election). Mark and Blake have been active setting and checking locations in Creswick Forest. The start is at the RACV Goldfields Resort on the outskirts of Creswick from 10am to 11.30am. Give this “navigation on wheels” a go – you’ll enjoy the track and trail riding while using your navigation skills at speed! Get onto Eventor and sign up.

5 Autumn / Winter Event Series in and around Ballarat. Roch is working out a schedule of events for the cool weather. Watch this newsletter for details – and give Roch a call if you can organise one of them.

6 Creswick 3-Days coming up over the long Queens Birthday Weekend. A great chance to get back into foot-o at maps within 30 minutes drive of Ballarat. See Eventor for details.

Last chance to get pre-entry into Eppalock event – entries close in less than 5 minutes, but you can enter on the day. Check Eventor for details.

[EurekaO] Request for helpers at Schools Championships

 Posted by at 9:50 pm  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] Request for helpers at Schools Championships
Apr 302019
 

Hi everyone,

See below for request from OVic for assistance with Schools events…

Regards, Ian
——– Forwarded Message ——–

Subject: Request for helpers at Schools Championships
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 14:58:41 +1000
From: Rob Fell <rob@vicorienteering.asn.au&gt;
To: info@orienteeringalburywodonga.org, Andrew Hunter <andrew.hunter@y7mail.com&gt;, secretary@bendigo-orienteers.com.au, ewels.john.je@gmail.com, groverpj@bigpond.net.au, chennell@eurekaorienteers.asn.au, toddneve@gmail.com, Rex Niven <fortytroutelectronics@optusnet.com.au&gt;, TuckonieO@gmail.com, Heather O’Donnell <whitesofmonty@optusnet.com.au&gt;, Suzanne O’Callaghan <mariesmoc48@gmail.com&gt;

Hi all,

Could you please pass the following message onto your club members:

As you are likely aware, in May we will be holding 3 regional secondary schools orienteering championships:

  • Fri 17 May – Southern Metro – Dandenong Police Paddocks
  • Wed 22 May – Western Metro – Truganina Park
  • Fri 24 May – Eastern Metro – Westerfolds Park

Roughly 100 students will be competing at each of these events. We have also had an increase in the number of schools participating, with 24 schools entered this year.

Successful competitors at these events will be invited to compete in the ‘state finals’:

  • Fri 14 June – State Championship – Kurrajong Plantation (You Yangs)

In the time between the qualifiers and the final, students and schools will likely be looking for coaching and club contacts. These champs represent a great opportunity to introduce new juniors and their family to your club!

We will need assistance on the day with running these events.
If you can take the morning off work, or even have an extended
lunch-break to come and lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated.
If you possess a current working with children check, or have applied
for one and you can be available on one (or more) days, please let me
know ASAP.

Thanks

-Rob rob@vicorienteering.asn.au 0428 358 588

[EurekaO] Eureka 2018 Annual General Meeting – Tuesday 30 April 7PM at ELC

 Posted by at 8:23 pm  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] Eureka 2018 Annual General Meeting – Tuesday 30 April 7PM at ELC
Apr 282019
 

Hi everyone,

Time has (very nearly!) caught us out this year – what with everything going on recently, we haven’t yet held our 2018 AGM, and it is meant to be done by the end of April…

So, the 2018 AGM will be an evening meeting at ELC this Tuesday evening, 30 April at 7pm, following on from the 6.15pm ELC monthly meeting that Blake and Mark will be attending. If that meeting overruns, we will start as soon as we can.

One agenda item we need to do is the acceptance of the 2017 AGM Minutes, which are attached. Please let me know by reply email if you note any errors or inconsistencies.

Last year’s Minutes will also provide the agenda and flow for this meeting – we will be going through the same headings.

Items for General Business, plus any Apologies, can be emailed by reply to this message.

From my perspective as Secretary, the only thing I absolutely have to do, in or right after the meeting, is submit the club’s annual submission to Consumer Affairs, and pay the annual fee for the club’s Incorporated status. The submission is simple – financial details, like income and expenditure for the 2018 club financial year (1 Dec 2017 to 30 Nov 2018), assets and liabilities held at 30 Nov 2018 (from the Treasurer’s Report), and the club membership numbers for 2018 (from Eventor = 40 Adults and 9 Juniors).

Apologies for the rather short notice for this, and the absence of the usual AGM lunch this time.

Regards, Ian Chennell (Secretary)

[EurekaO] Thanks for a great day at Lal Lal

 Posted by at 5:54 pm  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] Thanks for a great day at Lal Lal
Apr 142019
 

Just a sincere thank you for all who had a ride, helped make the event work for the 52+ entrants (several groups), and particularly to Ed and Helen Steenbergen (course setter) and Ian Chennell (SI and map presentation guru). No injuries (other minor scrapes), no dbf’s, all courses received positive feedback to Ed, helped Tim Doman make a bid for the team, excellent remembrance gathering for Tania Elderkin, and great atmosphere around the finish. I was proud of Eureka today – and despite the numerous motorbikes, a few horses that slowed some bike riders, and the sound of gun shots that distracted a few – we had a great day!
Hope to see you all again (and bring your friends) at Creswick RACV Resort on the day AFTER the election – May 19th,
Cheers Blake _______________________________________________ allmembers mailing list allmembers@eurekaorienteers.asn.au eurekaorienteers.asn.au/mailman/listinfo/allmembers_eurekaorienteers.asn.au

[EurekaO] Roster for Lal Lal Long this Sunday

 Posted by at 10:40 pm  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] Roster for Lal Lal Long this Sunday
Apr 082019
 
Hi all


I am asking for help this Sunday at Lal Lal with the Vic MTBO State Series #3 Event. The assembly area is at the corner of Mt Doran Rd and Andersons Rd – just as you come on to the mapped area. 

We need
  • one person to tow the portable toilet to / from the event – Palmer Hire
  • two people at the start from 9.30 to 11.15
  • two people at the finish from 10.30 to 12.00
  • two people at the finish from 11.45 – 1.00
  • two people supervising the parking 9.00 to 1.15
  • two people helping to set up the finish 8.30-9.30
  • three people to help collect controls 

On Friday -Saturday
  • Blake will pick and check the maps from High Tech printing
  • Ed Steenbergen (Course planner) and Blake (Event Adviser) will put out controls
  • Blake will take tents, put out signs, and bring other gear to the site early on Sunday morning
  • Ian (SI guru) has maps ready for printing, the tv’s ready for results, control boxes time synched, and the finish/generator organised

This is a great time to learn about how a small event runs so please email Blake at blakegordon1@bigpond.com and volunteer to help. Everyone who helps can have a ride or a training run so even if you don’t do mtbo please help your club out by coming along. We are really encouraging juniors – so encourage them to have a go over the school holiday Sunday. There will be mapboards and instruction/shadowing available from experienced mtbo riders. 

Cheers
Blake 
  

[EurekaO] Last Autumn Ballarat MapRun this Sunday at 5pm

 Posted by at 10:31 am  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] Last Autumn Ballarat MapRun this Sunday at 5pm
Mar 282019
 

Hi everyone

The map is printed, the course is ready – all we need is you and your smartphone on 5pm this Sunday at Lake Esmond just off Lal Lal Street at the bbq and flying fox area east of the lake. This event will be the last Ballarat MapRun on Sunday 5pm before we lose daylight saving time.
Given the area is good for walking, running and riding we are opening the event up for bicycles 
as well as groups of walkers, pram pushers and runners. All you need is a smartphone with the app MapRun loaded on your phone (free app).
Blake will have paper maps available for the usual $5 charge from 4.30pm at the bbq area east and up the slope from Lake Esmond (just east of Sovereign Hill). Parking is in the small carpark just off Lal Lal Street at the orienteering sign. Just look for the Eureka banner – a satisfying end to your weekend.
Cheers
Blake

[EurekaO] Club Relays 7 April – FINAL CALL

 Posted by at 12:12 am  Quicknews  Comments Off on [EurekaO] Club Relays 7 April – FINAL CALL
Mar 282019
 

Hi all,

A couple of days left before the Club Relays team structures need to be locked in, so please read the attached info, then let me know by return email ASAP which course you would like to enter, if you’re still “on the fence” about entering.

If you already know who you want to run with, sending me a complete team of three is even better!

I need team entries in by THIS FRIDAY 29 March.

The Club Relays are quite relaxed, great fun, and also a great opportunity to earn a lot of points in one event for Eureka in the Rockhopper Trophy.

We have NINE confirmed starters so far, so that’s three complete teams already.  Would be great to get another full team together!!

The following teams are confirmed (but not in final running order yet):

Course 1
Aislinn P, Geoff L and Rod G

Course 2
Blake G, Dale G and Jenny L

Mixed Length
Judy P, Roch P and Ian C

Also a reminder that our last Maprun event in the current series is at Lake Esmond this Sunday from 5pm.

Regards, Ian