With two AGM’s (Eureka on Wednesday and VOA tonight) in one week, I felt I should bring everyone up to date with Eureka news.
The Eureka AGM had 15 members booking in on Zoom (5 of them “not on screen” but Geoff, Dale, Margaret, Anitra and Tim were present) so we had almost 1/2 of our membership at the electronic meeting – well done Eureka!
- The nominated slate of officers for 2021 – Ian, President; Gary, Vice President; Blake, Secretary; Monica, Treasurer were elected by acclamation from the “crowded screen” of faces.
- Reports from Jenny (NOL and Autumn Series#2 organiser at Petticoat Gully), Ian (Organiser Vic MTBO Sprint Champs at Maryborough),and Warwick (Coordinator of 2022 Aus Champs) were interesting and showed that despite our small numbers we have a dedicated team which help run quality events.
- “Stuff of the Year” was won by the COVID-19 virus – certainly gave us a year none of us will forget!
- Innovations such as the MapRun app (thanks Ian) made it possible for individual runs/walks using your mobile phone within 5 km of your Ballarat home.
- aMAZEing donated to BREAZE continuing the tradition of our December ‘end of season’ event.
- Several clubs (YV, NE, BK, EU and BG) contributed funds to purchase 20 BS-11 units for Victoria to run events in a COVID-safe manner using a 1.6metre touch-less zone for “punching” – more like “passing” the control.
- Park&Street events at the start of the year set up by primarily by Gary made a great start – but in mid-March we got “virused”
The VOA AGM had 16 faces on the Zoom conference with all clubs (except AW) represented.
- President Carl reviewed the year of uncertainty and few events, but gave particular praise to Debbie Dodd and Margi Fremantle in the OVic team for their hard work at keeping us COVID safe and producing the Yearbook.
- Nominated and elected for 2021 by acclamation were: Carl D, President; Margi F and David J, VP’s; Aislinn P, Secretary and Stephen C, Treasurer. Noteworthy in the reports was a profit for the 2020 year of $44,000.
- The meeting was over in just over an hour – a record for a VOA meeting I reckon – with everyone keen to get over this latest lockdown and return to orienteering at the Eppalock 3-Days in June.
Autumn Series had two events postponed yesterday due to the current 7-day lockdown – Glenlyon this Sunday and the Vic Club Relays the following Sunday. So get out and do your two hours of exercise and get ready for the 3 event Eppalock Long-Weekend (check Eventor for details)
- Eureka is presently coming 3rd of the 10 Victorian Clubs in the “Rockhopper Trophy” with 328 points from the first four events (MFR is 1st – 367 and YV is 2nd – 355). So make your plans to be at Mosquito Creek and Eppalock on the 12th and 13th June to score points for yourself …and help EU move up in the standings. Check the Rockhopper points on the Information Sheet in the attached document for the Mt Tarrengower event to see how your club is going.
Hope you are keeping well – and using the lockdown to recharge for the coming events. Next news will be covering the “Ballarat Winter Series” – and how you can help Gary, Ken, and Toby to make these 4 Eureka events a success in June, July, and August.
Keep warm and safe,