In order to keep you better informed as to what your club – Eureka! – is doing, I will summarise the decisions made at each of the monthly 2019 Eureka meetings (held at Eastwood Leisure Complex) in a series of dot points.
- 2019 Winter Series – Eureka will run training events on 23 June, 7 July, 21 July , 4 August, 18 August, 1 Sept and 15 Sept in local forests to give everyone a chance to learn new skills, practice navigation, build confidence and share orienteering stories out in the bush near Ballarat. See Eventor calendar for more details or call Roch P.
- 2019 BUNS – From October to December Eureka will run low key park/street events using the MapRun app for families and those who just want a 45 minute run/walk – all within 20 minutes time of the CBD in Ballarat.
- Training Events for Mountain Bike Orienteering (MTBO) – Watch this space next month for training sessions leading up to the October 2019 Aus MTBO Champs in Maryborough.
- Eureka has decided to buy several bits of computer technology, software, radio controls, lightweight batteries, and tv screens to be trialed in the Winter Series in preparation for the Australian MTBO Championships in Maryborough and Dunnolly in late October. Eureka has taken responsibility for the finish timing, spits printout, results on tv screens and internet links for the whole of the 4 events (Mass Start, Sprint, Middle and Long Distance). President Ian Chennell hopes to train an excellent team of Eureka members to set-up, run and improve the current results system we have used successfully at most Eureka big events over the past 4 years.
- Several encouraging schools programs are currently running locally at Ballarat North PS (Warwick W), St Columba’s (Jenny B), and maybe Damascus College (Roch). Ken D has had interest from several schools (Wesley College and Daylesford schools) in the new “Cornish Hill” (Daylesford) permanent course.
- Eureka is well placed in the Interclub Competition as part of the Victorian Autumn Series. With 1 event to go (Creswick Diggings on Saturday 8 June, 12 noon to 2 pm) Eureka is 2nd out of all Victorian clubs. Entry on the day is still possible so try to boost our point total by participating – and wear your new EU “Orange Flash” top. Blake will have some tops at the event.
Blake Gordon , Eureka Secretary