After a AGM (7th June) and a Zoom meeting (30 June) I thought I should catch members up on what has been and will happen over the next couple of months. If you have any news please feel free to use the “allmembers” address above or send it to me (firstname.lastname@example.org).
At the AGM – at Eastwood Leisure Centre TR 2 and by Zoom
- 2022-2023 Officers elected – President-Ian Chennell, Vice-President-BJ Johnson, Secretary-Blake Gordon, Treasurer-Gary Buchan
- Awards presented – “Jenni Jamieson Award” to Aislinn Prendergast, “Tom Norwood Award” to Ian Chennell, “Life Memberships” to Jenny and Geoff Lawford, Anitra and Ken Dowling, Mark Valentine
- President’s and Treasurer’s Reports on the newly updated Eureka website – thanks to Ian C
- Motions: BJ Johnson/Mark Valentine that Eureka purchase a defibrillator (~$2000) and a portable backpack first aid kit (~$400). Carried unanimously
- Reports: Mark V reported that ELC has been prioritised by CoB for total rebuild – $8 million over 2023 and 2024 in approved city budgets
- Minute Silence for the passing of Rob Plowright (59) and Lesley Norwood (90)
Club meeting – by Zoom – 30 June at 7.45pm (note everyone is invited to participate on any of the club meetings, either in person or by Zoom)
- Warwick W summarised what is happening in the preparation for the Australian Orienteering Champs in Daylesford, Kyneton, Blackwood, Harcourt, Maldon and Castlemaine/Chewton in Sept/October 2022. Eureka is heavily involved so all members need to volunteer for organisational, on-the-day duties worked around your running times.
- 24 September, Saturday pm: “Australian Grand Prix Event” – Eureka is solely responsible for the parking, start, finish and results display (TV results) in the field. We will need to have all hands on deck to make this landmark event in the streets of Daylesford a big success. So even if you are not running in the event please notify Ian C or BJ Johnson of your availability to help out.
- 28 September, Wednesday all day – public races in am and Aus Schools Relay to follow. Eureka and Tuckonie are helping running the parking, start, and changeover (in relay) for this event. We are supporting Aislinn P who is setting the courses. Contact Blake G or Mark V to help out on the day after your run. EU is not responsible for the finish on this day.
- Warwick W, Chris N, Blake G, Mark V., Roch P, Aislinn P have event advising, map making, or course planning duties in addition to these event above – so you can see EU is heavily involved – as we were in the 2015 Dr Blake Australian Carnival. It is our way of giving back to the sport we love.
Club New Business –
- Victorian Teachers Games – in Geelong (centred on Deakin city campus) – Saturday 18 September – Mark and Sam V are planning the course, activities and scoring for this popular aMAZEing event for Victorian teachers. But we need about 12 volunteers to help run ingenious skill activities, distribute team materials and help at the finish area scoring and chatting with the teams as they come in. It is a different navigational experience with costumes, phone a friend, simple skill activities, and general carnival atmosphere. It comes the weekend BEFORE the Australian Championships so we really need to involve members who want to learn and be part of a great experience – you can learn/master your role on the day! Contact Mark V to get the picture of your involvement. This is our major fund raising event of the year so please volunteer.
- Summer Events – After “the smoke has cleared” from the Aus Champs and Victorian Teachers Games, we still have aMAZEing Ballarat in early December and a summer series of foot and mtbo events in and around Ballarat. These will help us get the newcomers we hope to attract over the Winter Series into practicing on local maps in the Ballarat/Daylesford area.
- Working With Children Check – Please send Aislinn P (and copy to Blake G) your current check number and expiry date. If you are not signed up as a volunteer, please do so online on the Working With Children website (Victorian Gov’t).
- Term Deposits coming due. Moved Blake, seconded Gary that EU roll over the two term deposits coming due July. Carried Unanimously.
We have three more Ballarat Winter events coming up on the next three Sundays in July starting from 10am to 12pm. So come along, meet the newcomers, have a run/walk at Brown Hill, Woowookarung and Nerrina North. Our aim is to double our EU membership if every current member introduces at least one newcomer to our healthy, outdoors, COVID-safe family sport.